EDIT: March 2015 – The Birdcage has closed down?!?!?! no. NO. Noo. But I’m keeping this post here just in case (please please please) they reopen.
Congratulations to those of you who have survived the January exam season! This post is for any Bristolians who may be feeling a little worse for wear after post-exam parties and are looking for a coffee/brunch pick me up in a quirky and creative cafe.
The Birdcage, in the heart of the Old City, right next to St Nick’s Market, is a gorgeous, trendy spot to get your caffeine fix. Priding themselves on providing “yesterday’s clothes, today’s coffee and tomorrow’s music”, the Birdcage can give you a bit of whatever you need. Seriously good coffee to go, healthy (gluten free/dairy free/vegan) lunch and an array of cakes or healthy snacks are only a few of the treats available. The charming and eclectic decor, with mismatched leather sofas and armchairs, retro bicycles as wall hangings and cute vintage crockery, makes settling in with a drink and a book both calming and inspiring. They also offer a range of vintage items for sale, as well as a number of (mostly free) music events including a weekly Open Mic Night, perfect spot for an artsy night out. If you haven’t already checked out the Birdcage, do so. You won’t be disappointed.
* Opening Times: Monday – Friday 8am-10/11pm.
Saturday 10am – 11pm. Sunday 10am-6pm.
* Food options: Delicious brunch and lunch menu, with dairy free, gluten free and vegan options, all cooked with local produce. (My favourite – Earl Grey poached pears on porridge with warmed honey and toasted pine nuts – £4.) Also snacks including probably the best vegetarian scotch egg I have ever eaten.
* Cup of Coffee: £1.90 Americano. (£2.65 for a vanilla latte – but be adventurous, they have an extensive drinks menu, including frappes, smoothies, and a large range of loose leaf teas) – Full Drinks Menu HERE
* Bring with you: a good book or a good friend.
* Music Nights – Listings on their Facebook page
* Address: 28 Clare St. Bristol. BS1 1YE
* Phone: 0117 929 1130